Recipe: Heart healthy chicken fajitas
Quick Chicken Fajitas
Serves 4 • About $2.41 per serving.
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken meat sliced in ½-inch strips, visible fat removed (breast or tenderloins)
1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
1 medium bell pepper, sliced, any color
1 medium onion, sliced (white, yellow or red)
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon cumin
8 taco sized whole wheat or corn tortillas (choose tortillas with the least amount of saturated fat, trans fat and sodium you can find in your store)
1 avocado, sliced
½ cup fat-free sour cream (optional)
½ cup Pico de Gallo (or prepared salsa with the least amount of sodium you can find in your store)
Pico de Gallo (Fresh Salsa)
Serves 4 • About $0.57 per serving
1 medium tomato, diced
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped (can use half of pepper to reduce spiciness)
Juice of 1 lemon or lime
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 garlic clove, minced (or ½ teaspoon minced garlic from jar)
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
Directions for fajitas:
- Spray large skillet with cooking spray. Heat to medium-high and add chicken, cook for 3 minutes until browned.
- Reduce heat to medium and add soy sauce, bell pepper, onions, black pepper and cumin. Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon chicken mixture evenly over tortillas and top with sliced avocado, fat-free or low-fat sour cream and fresh salsa.
Directions for pico de gallo:
- Dice the tomato (cut into equal size cubes).
- Finely chop onion.
- Remove seeds and white membrane from jalapeno pepper and finely chop (can use half or leave pepper out altogether for a mild salsa).
- Add lemon juice.
- For cilantro, either use kitchen scissors or a chef’s knife to finely chop.
- Mince garlic.
- Combine all ingredients in medium bowl and stir.