Girl found not breathing with window blind cord wrapped around neck
A mother called 911 after she discovered her 3-year-old daughter wasn't breathing and a window blind cord was wrapped around her neck.
Gahanna police received the call early Tuesday afternoon. Officers found the girl in the living room lying on the floor with her legs extended and arms stretched out to her sides.
Officers began CPR chest compressions. Her mother had worked on the girl for a minute or so while she was on the phone with dispatchers until first responders arrived, according to a police report.
The girl was taken to Nationwide Children's Hospital where she remains Thursday. Her father tells ABC 6 Investigators the family is hopeful she will recover, but did not elaborate on her condition.
The girl's mother told officers she left the child unattended for about five minutes.
"I observed no hazardous conditions or indications of neglect," according to the officer's report.
ABC 6 Investigators examined the dangers of window blindsin November.
It only takes seconds for a child to become strangled.
"It can happen very quickly and when it does it's often fatal," said Tracy Mehan, who works at the research institute of Nationwide Children's Hospital.
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission said nearly one child dies every month in the U.S. from window cord strangulation and many more are hospitalized.
"We want to end the uncertainly and we want to end the deaths and the only way to do that is to have safe products on store shelves," said Consumer Product Safety Commission Chairman Elliot Kaye.
To avoid strangulation and death, the Window Covering Manufacturers Association set a safety standard in 2012. It's something the entire industry follows today. It calls for tension and hold down devices for continuous loop blinds, toggles, and cleats to tie up pull cords and warning labels on the outside of blind boxes.
The industry argues some people need corded blinds and new safety features can prevent injuries or death if used properly.
Chairman Kaye examined the number of deaths and was startled. He's pushing to ban corded window blinds all together.
Several big box stores like Target and Ikea have already banned corded blinds from being sold.
Other stores like Lowe's, The Home Depot and Walmart vow to pull corded blinds from shelves over the next three years.