MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Two found dead from possible carbon monoxide poisoning at Mansfield home

Megan and Cody Keller were found dead in their home from what officials suspect is carbon monoxide poisoning after a new coal burner was installed at the house. (Wooster Police Department)

A man and woman were found dead in their home Wednesday morning from what officials suspect is carbon monoxide poisoning after a new coal burner was installed at the house.

The Richland County Sheriff's Office says Megan Keller worked for the Wooster Police Department, and someone from the office called saying she hadn't shown up for work and was never late. Cody Keller also hadn't shown up at his workplace.

The caller and a detective from Wooster Police were at the home when a deputy responded and told him they were both concerned a new coal burner may be malfunctioning, causing high carbon monoxide levels.

The responding deputy says he tried to open the doors and windows of the home and noticed a rotten egg odor, so called in the fire department for help. After forcing their way into the house, they found the victims lying face down on the living room floor.

Before they could do anything else, a carbon monoxide detector began to sound an alarm about dangerous levels, and they had to leave the house until it could be aired out.

Investigators say a witness told them the last time she saw the couple was Tuesday evening while they were out feeding the cows.

A dog was also found dead in the home.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that can be deadly. Most people will not experience symptoms from prolonged exposure to CO below 70 parts per million, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commision. The Washington Fire Department told the deputy their detector found CO levels of 4000 in the house.


Trending