ABC 6 - Search Results
Massive Fire Causes Millions in Damage
ZANESVILLE (Ben Garbarek) - Firefighters from half a dozen departments were called out to put out a fire in a large garage in Zanesville. The owner of the garage said it'll cost more than a million dollars to replace everything that was destroyed.
"(I) heard explosions," said neighbor and volunteer firefighter Vince Finck. "I looked out the front doors, seen a big could, mushroom cloud of smoke, so I got in the truck and headed to the fire department."
Firefighters said people could see the smoke billowing for miles. Other firefighters spotted the smoke and started heading to the scene before the first 911 call was made.
This was not a typical fire though. The owner is an avid gun collector and stored a large amount of ammo inside.
"You don't know if the guns are loaded or unloaded," Finck said. "If they're loaded, that's scary."
There were also concerns about several gas tanks. The owner stored an RV, jet skis, pick-up trucks, a dump truck, several tractors and other equipment inside the large garage.
It took firefighters about 20 minutes to get everything under control.
The owner was not home at the time. No firefighters were hurt.
There's no official cause for the fire but investigators think it may have been an electrical problem that started it.