ABC 6 - Search Results
State Auditor Considering Probe into Fairfield Co. Meals on Wheels
FAIRFIELD COUNTY (Lu Ann Stoia/Ken Hines) -- An Ohio task force could soon launch an investigation into a central Ohio Meals on Wheels program's former director, whose son profited from a lucrative contract connected to the charity operation.
Investigators with the Fairfield County Auditor's Office have asked their counterparts with the state to begin a probe into a technology services contract that paid Randall Saylor more than $129,000 in 2012.
Randall is the son of the county's former Meals on Wheels director, Phyllis Saylor, who was fired by the program's board of directors on October 1.
Randall Saylor maintains that his contract was approved by the board in 2009, and claims that his mother was told by board members the deal had been authorized by the program's ethics commission.
Meals on Wheels clients hope the situation is resolved quickly, in order to limit negative publicity ahead of a levy renewal that will be included on the Fairfield County ballot in November.
"A lot of people wouldn't be able to stay at home, wouldn't be getting meals that are valuable for health," Ralph Holsinger said about the possible cessation of the program's services. "People don't have the food. They are just eating whatever they can get without Meals on Wheels."
A special audit task force will consider a possible state investigation into the Fairfield County program in mid-October, according to Ohio Auditor Dave Yost.