Most Shared

ABC 6 - Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Police ID Suspect Shot During Dublin Crime Spree

COLUMBUS (Ken Hines/Kate Liebers) -- Police shot a suspect inside a West Side garage on Tuesday morning, ending an alleged multi-city crime spree.

Officers identified the suspect as 37-year-old Charles Gollihue, who was in critical condition when transported to Mount Carmel West Hospital with several gunshot wounds.

The shooting followed a two-hour police chase, stemming from a report of suspicious behavior. 

A Dublin officer investigating that report approached the suspect around 6:45 a.m. in the area of Frantz Road and Tuttle Crossing Boulevard. After a confrontation with the officer, the suspect ran through the wooded area and out of the pursuing officer's sight.

The Dublin officer said he later heard a scream from the NCO parking lot, where the carjacking took place. Gollihue allegedly revealed a weapon to steal a Pontiac Grand Am from an NCO employee.

She was not harmed, police reported. 

Police said Gollihue, while on the run, attempted to rob another person at gunpoint. The alleged robbery occurred at the BP on Bethel Road, although Gollihue has not been charged with that crime.

Hours later, officers discovered a Pontiac Grand Am matching the description of the stolen vehicle in an alley near Warren Avenue. A man was later spotted inside a dark garage at 109 N. Warren Ave. 

Undercover officers opened fire on the man around 8:45 a.m. Witness Britney Denny said she heard one shot, then six more.

Police have confirmed that a pellet gun was found near the suspect in the garage, but have not released specific details about the man's actions in the moments that immediately preceded the shooting.

"We do scenario training to address these type of things so they will act appropriately. And in this case, clearly, a gun was found," Columbus Police Chief Kim Jacobs said. "They need to be able to protect themselves, to continue to protect the city in other areas and other ways."

In addition to the pellet gun, an undisclosed amount of cash was found at the scene of the shooting, according to authorities.

Another man was taken into custody by Dublin police during the initial confrontation with Gollihue; he has not been charged with any crimes.

Jacobs said a full investigation is already underway to determine if the shooting was justified.

Advertise with us!
Sponsored content