Most Shared

ABC 6 - Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Man Injured, Cat Dies in Grill Fire

NEWARK (Jen French)Investigators say a grill was to blame for an apartment fire that burned a man and killed a cat.
 
The fire broke out around 6:30 a.m. Friday on Londondale Parkway.
 
Wind apparently knocked over a charcoal grill, starting the fire, according to the Newark City Fire Department. The owner tried to put it out, but ended up burning his hand. He is expected to be ok and no other person in the building was hurt. A cat, however, did not survive.
 
We ran outside. It was just an inferno, neighbor Jessica Hammons said. Just massive amounts of flames erupting out of the balcony. It was surreal. It was like out of a movie."
 
Newark Assistant Fire chief Patrick Connor said the residents didnt hear any smoke alarms go off. Three smoke detectors didnt have batteries.
 
The property manager at Londondale Village Apartments did not want to comment. The city fire marshal said the manager provided smoke detectors, but its up to tenants to get them checked.
 
Advertise with us!
Sponsored content