ABC 6 - Search Results
Man Carries Friend from Dublin Fire
COLUMBUS (Maria Durant/Kate Liebers) -- The man who pulled a Dublin resident from a burning building said his life may be quite different if not for one thing -- the smoke detector he only recently installed.
Lee Martin said he had installed the device at Beth Amirault's house just weeks before a Thursday morning fire. The alarms woke Martin, who helped get Amirault out of the home.
"Had I not done that, I probably wouldn't be here," Martin said.
Martin thought his friend may have had a seizure and either knocked over a candle, or perhaps dropped a lit cigarette.
Either way, he said she didn't respond when he called for her. He found her sleeping on a couch becoming engulfed in flames.
"There was a fire, basically an inferno around her," Martin said.
He was able to carry her out of the burning home alive.
Amirault was in serious condition on Friday but is expected to recover. Martin said she has third-degree burns on her arms and legs.
Martin suffered burns on his feet and right hand.