Most Shared

ABC 6 - Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Crews Work to Install New Waterline After Burst in Downtown Columbus

COLUMBUS (Kate Liebers/Kelsey Mallahan)  -- Crews worked through the night to install a new 24-inch pipe after a waterline burst flooded parts of downtown Columbus on Monday evening.

Many businesses and residents were still without water Tuesday morning, as workers waited for additional equipment to fully repair the line. City officials estimate that the work will be completed by 5 p.m.

The Columbus Department of Public Utilities issued a boil water advisory for residents on N. Fourth Street between Chapel and Long streets once the water is turned back on.

Crews rotated shifts to avoid long exposure to the extreme weather while installing the new pipe. The freezing temperatures also created a problem earlier Monday, when the edges of the flooded area began to turn to ice.
Several streets were blocked due to the flooding, which began around 4 p.m. The flooded area was salted ahead of the Tuesday morning commute.

The lower level of a parking garage, located at the southwest corner of 4th and Gay streets was reportedly completely under water.

The governor's office announced that only essential personnel in executive branch state agencies based in the Riffe Center, the Rhodes Tower, the Department of Education building and the Department of Health building should report to work Tuesday.

The Ohio Attorney General's Office also told only essential employees to report to work Tuesday.

The Grant Medical Center was forced to use a boiler system Monday evening, an OhioHealth spokesperson reported.

The Columbus Museum of Art also announced Monday evening that it was without water following the break. Spokespeople said the facility would be closed to both visitors and staff Tuesday. 

As Columbus Police Department ordered buildings in the area to evacuate, COTA sent two buses to help transport about 70 people. Other bus lines were re-routed following the late Monday afternoon flooding.

Road closure updates are available here.

More pictures of the flood can be viewed here.
Advertise with us!
Sponsored content