Mother opens up about teen's miraculous recovery from severe burns
A mother is opening up about the long road to recovery her teen daughter is facing after being severely burned in a New Year's Eve bonfire accident five months ago.
Leigh Chesney told our CBS station in Miami that when Layne first arrived to Kendall Regional Medical Center, they gave her a less than one percent chance of survival.
“She’s the only one in the entire country who has survived this extent of burn,” Leigh said, calling her daughter a miracle.
The 15-year-old from Fort Pierce suffered burns to 95% of her body after she poured gasoline on a bonfire while roasting marshmallows at a friend’s house on New Year's Eve.
CBS12 first reported the horrible accident in January shortly after it occurred.
“She’s been in a bed for five months,” Leigh said. “She’s definitely suffered a lot of muscle weakness that she lost in the burn. Everything is re-growing and she’s having to re-learn how to use all the body parts again.”
The road to recovery has been extremely difficult at times. Layne has undergone numerous surgeries and faced intense therapy sessions, but her mom said the teen is staying optimistic.
“She still has her spirit. She’s still making jokes. She’s still trying to make the best out of a horrible situation that happened," she said.
Layne’s family and friends post frequent updates on her condition to the ‘Prayers For Layne’ Facebook page.
Her mother said she hopes to have Layne home by November, but that will depend on her progress.