Duplex fire started by family burning pallets to stay warm, firefighters say

    A duplex was damaged when a fire broke out as a family was burning pallets in a fireplace to stay warm (WSYX/WTTE)

    A southwest Columbus duplex was heavily damaged by flames early Friday morning after a fire broke out while a family was trying to keep the home warm.

    Firefighters say the family had been evicted and the utilities were cut off, so they were burning wooded pallets in the fireplace for heat. The fireplace was obstructed, causing the flames to spread inside the duplex on Marci Way, just off Norton Road.

    The family was able to call for help and get out of the home, and no one was hurt according to firefighters.

    Authorities are still investigating the fire.

    News In Photos

      Loading ...