Mom carrying child and relative injured after vape pen batteries explode inside bag

    (CNN NEWSOURCE)<p>{/p}

    Two people in Florida suffered second degree burns after vape pen exploded

    Melisa Hernandez told WFLA, that she's lucky to be alive. She said her vape pen battery exploded in her bag while she was carrying her three-year-old daughter on Friday.

    "I heard the explosion and then I seen the fire shoot and I thought somebody hit me with a firework."

    Hernandez said that stream of fire was this battery shooting out of the bag that was around her shoulder.

    She said it hit her aunt in the face, leaving both of them with second degree burns.

    Hernandez said the batteries were inside a plastic container away from harmful objects. She said that the batteries were purchased at Tampa Vapor Shop.

    The owner of Tampa Vapor Shop told WFLA, that he teaches everyone how to properly store batteries. "Batteries themselves store a tremendous amount of power so they need to be treated carefully and with respect."

    News In Photos

      Loading ...